Welcome to the Electric Toothbrush Critic! If you’re looking for a good electric toothbrush, you’ve come to the right place! We’ve reviewed a number of electric toothbrushes available on the market, and we’ve also written a detailed buyer’s guide to help you decide which is the best toothbrush for you.
If you’ve found yourself on this website, you probably realize some of the benefits of owning an electric toothbrush over a standard, manual toothbrush. Electric toothbrushes are proven to be much more efficient at cleaning teeth, removing plaque, and preventing gum disease compared to a manual toothbrush, and many models have excellent built-in features that ensure you properly brush your teeth.
When it comes to choosing an electric toothbrush, you may be wondering what to look for. If you’re unfamiliar with the various qualities found in modern electric toothbrushes, you’ll probably be a bit confused when you read about some of the functionality and features incorporated into them. Because of this, we’ve taken the time to write a detailed buyer’s guide that explains these features, and will hopefully get an idea of the type of electric toothbrush that’s right for you.
Our Electric Toothbrush Buyer’s Guide
Most mid and high end electric toothbrushes have built-in features that you may not be familiar with. It’s important that you understand what’s available on the market so that you can make the best informed decision when it comes to choosing the ideal electric toothbrush for you. Below is a list of the various features you’ll find in most good electric toothbrushes.
- Brushing Timer – Almost all of the mid and high-range electric toothbrushes available have a built-in timer to let you know when you’ve brushed your teeth long enough. Dentists recommend brushing for two minutes and some electric toothbrushes will have a simple two-minute timer that will shut the brush off or pulse to signal when those two minutes are up. Others will have 30-second timers that will pulse every 30 seconds so that you will brush each quadrant (upper left, upper right, lower left, lower right) for an equal 30 seconds. I would suggest purchasing an electric toothbrush with a timer, as this is a very handy feature.
- Pressure Sensor – When people are first introduced to electric toothbrushes, they may find that they brush too hard, which is not good for teeth and may cause gum bleeding. The top electric toothbrush manufacturers have taken this into consideration, and many models will feature a pressure sensor that will let you know when you’re applying too much pressure.
- UV Sanitizer - Some high-end electric toothbrush models feature a UV sanitizer, a device that utilizes UV light to kill bacteria and germs which build up on your toothbrush. If cleanliness is a concern for you, and it should be, a UV Sanitizer is a great feature to have in an electric toothbrush. Models like the Philips Sonicare FlexCare Plus HX6972 come with UV sanitizers, and may be of interest to you.
- Rechargeable Battery – Most of the mid and high-range electric toothbrushes have built-in rechargeable batteries. This can either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you’re going to be using your electric toothbrush. For example, if you’re going to only be using it at home and during short trips, a built-in rechargeable battery is far better, as it saves a lot of money in the long run. However, if you’re going to be going on camping trips often, or to places that don’t have easily-accessible power outlets, you might want to consider an electric toothbrush that takes external AA batteries. This can be a much more convenient option if power won’t be readily accessible, as you can simple put fresh batteries into the brush handle when the old ones run down.
- Interchangeable and Unique Brush Heads – Many of the leading electric toothbrush manufacturers provide a variety of different brush heads available. These are generally all meant for different purposes: for example, some brushes have specialty sensitive heads that are meant for those with sensitive teeth. Others have polishing heads that clean, polish, and remove stains from the teeth. If you think that specialty brush heads might be useful to you, then be sure to pay attention to the different available kinds.
Some of these features may not be of interest to you, but it’s definitely worth considering them before looking at electric toothbrush ratings and deciding which is the right model for you.
What to Consider When Shopping
When it comes to making the decision of the perfect electric toothbrush for you, there are some things you should take into consideration.
- Budget – First and foremost, you should keep in mind what kind of budget you have for your purchase. You can expect to spend at least $50 on the low end, and upwards of $200 for a top-rated electric toothbrush model. The truth is that you will get a satisfactory toothbrush even on the low end, but you’ll be missing out on some of the bells and whistles only available on the high-end models. I would strongly recommend spending as much as you can afford on an electric toothbrush, because even an expensive model will last you a long time, coming out at a very low monthly price. Having a great smile and oral health is an extremely important thing, so don’t skimp out on your electric toothbrush unless completely necessary.
- Features & Functionality – As detailed above, there are a lot of extra features found on some of the electric toothbrushes on the market. If cleanliness and hygiene is important to you, you might want to think about purchasing a model with a UV sanitizer. If you’re unfamiliar with using an electric toothbrush or are buying one for a child or as a gift, you might want to think about purchasing an electric toothbrush with a brushing timer or pressure sensor. If you travel a lot, keep in mind that some electric toothbrushes come with convenient travel-friendly charging bases, brush holders, and cases.
- Your Personal Needs - There are electric toothbrushes designed for various needs. For example, you can buy a specially-designed kids electric toothbrush that has features and additions that make it perfect for children. If you are someone that has braces or orthodontics, there are also toothbrushes that are excellent for those purposes. You will also want to look at the available specialized brush heads that are available for the toothbrushes, which will give you an even further specialized cleaning for your particular needs.
- Where to Shop For Your Electric Toothbrush – In our experience, the best deals on electric toothbrushes are often found online rather than at brick & mortar stores. Many online retailers offer strongly discounted prices as well as free shipping on their products. Every dollar counts, especially because the top electric toothbrush can be rather expensive. If you’re comfortable buying online (and you should be!) then you will definitely save a lot of money by purchasing your electric toothbrush online.
If you’re looking for our choices for the top 3 electric toothbrushes without having to sort through all of the reviews, here they are without further ado.
We found that the the Oral-B ProfessionalCare SmartSeries 5000 is the best overall electric toothbrush for a variety of reasons. The Oral-B 5000 is jam-packed with features that are a rare find at this price point, including multiple cleaning modes such as a specialized “deep cleaning” mode, “polish” mode proven to brighten teeth in just a few weeks, and more. The main cool feature of the Oral-B 5000 is the unique Wireless SmartGuide — an included wireless device with LCD screen that gives you all sorts of feedback on your teeth brushing, letting you know how long you’ve brushed, whether you’re brushing too hard, when to change to another area of your mouth, and more. It’s a very neat addition that a lot of people love, and it’s no wonder why this is the #1 best-selling electric toothbrush with excellent reviews from users. This is simply the finest electric toothbrush available today, and we’d recommend it to anyone who wants a great electric toothbrush.
Read our complete, in-depth review of the Oral-B ProfessionalCare SmartSeries 5000 Electric Toothbrush or, if you want to purchase it right away and claim a huge discount and free shipping then click here to see the Oral-B ProfessionalCare SmartSeries 5000 Electric Toothbrush on Amazon!
The Philips Sonicare FlexCare Plus HX6972 is our choice for #2 overall best rated electric toothbrush. It is slightly more expensive than our #1 rated Oral-B 5000, but it has some features that might appeal to you. What the Philips Sonicare FlexCare Plus HX6972 has over other electric toothbrushes is that it comes equipped with a UV sanitizer — a device that uses UV light to cleanse germs and bacteria from your electric toothbrush heads. If you are someone that is concerned about cleanliness, this is an excellent feature to have in an electric toothbrush. This electric toothbrush also comes with a convenient travel case and toothbrush caps, which also make it nice for travelling. You might be pleased to know that this is one of the quietest electric toothbrushes — which is something that concerns some people. Of course, as you would expect with any good electric toothbrush, the Sonicare FlexCare Plus is excellent at cleaning with a number of different built-in cleaning modes and included brush heads meant for different purposes. Once you try this electric toothbrush, it’s not hard to tell why it’s one of the best-selling models overall.
See why we loved the Philips Sonicare FlexCare Plus HX6972 in our complete, in-depth review, by clicking here or, if you want to purchase it right away and claim a huge discount and free shipping then click here to see the Philips Sonicare FlexCare Plus HX6972 Electric Toothbrush on Amazon!
The Philips Sonicare Essence 5300/HX5351 is our #3 overall choice as well as being the best budget electric toothbrush. While our top 2 choices aren’t overly expensive, the Sonicare Essence 5300 is the least expensive, by far. This doesn’t mean it’s not a great electric toothbrush, though. While it doesn’t have any of the advanced features found in our #1 and #2 electric toothbrushes, it still has all of the basics, it does an excellent job of cleaning teeth, and even has a built-in brushing timer, as well as a travel charger and case. The Philips Sonicare Essence 5300/HX5351 Essence is not only our #3 rated electric toothbrush, but it’s also a very popular electric toothbrush, as well. If you’re looking for an inexpensive electric toothbrush that might not have all the perks and features of a high-end electric toothbrush but still does the job of cleaning well, look no further than the Philips Sonicare Essence 5300/HX5351.
We thought the Philips Sonicare Essence 5300/HX5351 was the best budget electric toothbrush, and you can read our full review or, if you want to purchase it right away and claim a huge discount and free shipping then click here to see the Philips Sonicare Essence 5300/HX5351 Electric Toothbrush on Amazon!