The Philips Sonicare HealthyWhite line is a very popular one, with three different models with different features and at different price points. This review will compare and contrast each of the three versions so you can make the best decision on which is right for you.
First, we’ll cover the basic Philips Sonicare HealthyWhite electric toothbrush itself, which has a few differences between the available versions. The standard model, the R710 is a great electric toothbrush. It uses sonic technology, which is clinically proven proven to clean teeth and remove plaque much better than a regular electric toothbrush. Sonic technology brushes much faster than a regular electric toothbrush, resulting in vibrating water molecules which are much more effective in cleaning teeth and gums.
The Philips Sonicare Healthywhite line uses their specialy ProResults brush heads which has contoured bristles that have a greater tooth coverage and are much more gentle on the teeth. The ProResults heads are suitable for cleaning orthodontics, dental work, veneers, and sensitive teeth, so if that applies to you, this is a great electric toothbrush to have. The ProResults heads, in my opinion, are worth the price of admission alone, because they’re much less expensive than standard heads, snap easily into place, and seem to trap much less gunk than standard brush heads.
Philips Sonicare Healthywhite R710/HX6710 – The Base Model
The R710/HX6710 model is the most basic model, with Clean and Clean and White modes. The Clean mode is obviously the standard cleaning mode, which is the usual 30-second clean for each of the four quadrants of the mouth by means of the brush’s built-in Smartimer and Quadpacer technologies. A timer is always a great thing to have in an electric toothbrush, because it ensures that you’re getting the best clean by brushing for the appropriate amount of time.
The R710 has a second cycle in the Clean and White mode that is specifically designed to remove stains on the teeth. We’re not sure how effective it is, but it functions by pulsing the brush head for an extra 30 seconds after the standard cleaning, which is meant to break up stains on the teeth. We’ve read reports that this is effective in removing stains, so it seems to be a nice addition over a standard electric toothbrush.
The Sonicare R710 comes installed with a Li-on battery, which is much lighter and results in an increased battery life over older batteries. The included travel charger is small and takes up little bathroom space, which is always a good thing. It also has space to store 2 extra heads. The R710 has a battery life gauge which blinks when the battery life is below 50% – usually not an issue as you’ll usually have your electric toothbrush on the charger anyway, but it’s always nice to have.
The R710 model comes with:
- The electric toothbrush itself
- One ProResults brush head
- Travel/home charger with head storage
- Hygienic Travel cap
Philips Sonicare Healthywhite R732/HX6732 – The Mid-Range Model
The Philips Sonicare R732 is the next step up from the R710 model. In addition to the previous model, the R732 has two brush heads – one standard and once compact, a deluxe charger with cord wrap, two hygiencic travel caps and a special travel case. The deluxe charger is a nice upgrade over the standard one that comes with the R710, as it has a cord wrap which keeps it nice and tidy and only as long as you need it be.
Also upgraded in the R732 model is an extra cleaning setting in the Sensitive mode. This is a mode specially designed for those with sensitive teeth and gums by vibrating much more gently than the standard cleaning mode. If you have issues with bleeding gums, this is a feature you will probably be interested in. If you don’t have need for the Sensitive mode I would recommend thinking about if you need the extra features such as the deluxe charger and extra heads. If not, you might want to skip the R32 and go with either the basic R710 or maybe the top-end HX6733.
The R732 model comes with:
- The electric toothbrush itself
- Two ProResults brush heads – One standard and one compact
- Deluxe charging base with cord wrap
- Two hygienic travel caps
- Convenient travel case
- Extra Sensitive cleaning brush mode
Philips Sonicare HX6733 HealthyWhite 3 Premium Edition – The Top-End Model
The Philips Sonicare HX6733 HealthyWhite Premium Edition is, as the name suggests, the top end HealthyWhite model with a few special features that make it stand out from the other models. While it has the Sensitive cleaning mode that the mid-range R732 has, there are a number of features that are incorporated into this top-end model.
In addition to what the R732 model comes with, the HX6733 comes with two HealthyWhite brush handles. This is an especially great deal if you’re looking for electric toothbrushes for you and someone else, because you’re getting them at a discount when you consider the price of the R732 package alone. Also included with this top-end model are two standard brush heads as well as one HydroClean brush head. In addition to the deluxe charger that the R732 model comes with, the HX6733 Premium Edition includes a travel charger in the box as well.
As a quick note, the HydroClean brush head is a specially designed head that directs fluids between the teeth to get a closer clean that mimics the the benefits of flossing. Of course, this is not a substitute for flossing, but it does do a better job at cleaning between teeth than a standard toothbrush head. Of course, these heads can be bought separately as well.
The biggest stand-out feature of the HX6733 Premium Edition is the inclusion of a UV Sanitizer. If you’re not familiar with the advantages of having a UV Sanitizer in your electric toothbrush, let me explain briefly. A UV Saniziter, as the name suggests, uses UV light to kill up to 99% of bacteria and germs that may have accumulated on your brush heads. You simply place the brush heads inside of the sanitizer and it will get to work on cleansing them. When the cycle is complete, the UV sanitizer will simply turn itself off.
If you’re concerned about the cleanliness of your toothbrush, a UV sanitizer is a great feature to have in an electric toothbrush.
The HX6733 model comes with:
- Two electric toothbrush handles
- Three brush heads – two standard and one HydroClean brush head
- Deluxe charging base as well as a travel base
- Three hygienic travel caps
- UV Sanitizer proven to kill 99% of germs and bacteria
So, Which Model is Right For Me?
After reading this review, you may still be stuck with which of the HealthyWhite models is right for you. The benefits of each are apparent, and it’s up to you to decide which is the best for you. Here are some things to consider:
- Do you have sensitive teeth and gums? – The standard 710 model is the only one which doesn’t come with the Sensitive cleaning mode. This mode brushes much more gently and is great for those with sensitive gums or who are prone to gum bleeding. If this is an issue for you, I’d recommend skipping the R710 model and going for either the R732 or HXR733.
- Is UV sanitation important to you? – The HXR733 is the only model that comes with the UV sanitizer. If you’re a stickler for cleanliness like I am, a UV sanitizer is simply a must-have feature to have in an electric toothbrush. Of course, the HXR733 is considerably more expensive than the lower-tier models.
- Do you need more than one brush handle? – The Premium Edition HXR733 comes with two brush handles, making it a great value for those that are in need of two electric toothbrushes.
- What’s your budget? – The R710 and R722 models are considerably less expensive than the Premium Edition HX6733 model. However, I would strongly recommend not putting a price on oral health and hygiene.
If you’re having some trouble deciding on which is the best for you, here’s a simple chart that outlines the differences between the different models.
Philips Sonicare HealthyWhite Comparison Chart
|Includes Sensitive Mode|
|Deluxe Charging Base|
|Included Brush Heads||1||2||3|
|Includes 2 Toothbrushes|
|Includes UV Sanitizer|
No matter which model of the Philips Sonicare HealthyWhite line you decide to go with, you’re going to get an excellent electric toothbrush. Philips has done a great job on making a dentist-worthy brush available at different price points for any budget. We heartily recommend the HealthyWhite line to anyone looking for a great electric toothbrush, and although the HX6733 Premium Edition is by far the best model, even the lower-end versions are great, too.
Amazon, our recommended online supplier, has a great deal on the HealthyWhite line, which includes free shipping and a huge discount of up to 50% from retail price.
- If you’re interested in the Philips Sonicare HealthyWhite R710, click here to buy from Amazon.
- Alternatively, if you’re interested in the Philips Sonicare HealthyWhite R732/HX6732, click here to check out the prices and more information on Amazon
- Finally, if the Philips Sonicare HealthyWhite HX6733 Premium Edition is right for you, click here to get it at a huge discount!