An electric toothbrush is an excellent way to brush your teeth and keep them looking great, but even the best electric toothbrush won’t eliminate the need to floss your teeth. The Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser is the best alternative to manually brushing your teeth, and in conjunction with your electric toothbrush, you’ll be able to get by far the best possible cleaning of your mouth. There are several different models of the Waterpik, and the Ultra version is the newest, with many new features and upgrades that make it stand out from the previous iterations.
Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser at a Glance
- Removes up to 99.9% of plaque per 1-minute session of use
- Nearly twice as effective at removing plaque when compared to regular floss
- Adjustable water pressure from 10 – 90 PSI & 1,200 pulses per minute
- Includes 6 color-coded tips which each serve a different cleaning purpose
Flossing your teeth is very important, and a lot of people neglect doing it (it can be such a pain!), and the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser makes it a snap. In fact, the Waterpik actually does a much better job at this than flossing the usual way. Many adult dental problems are caused by improper and infrequent cleaning below the gumline, as well as not flossing frequently enough. The Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser helps fight this by letting you clean these areas thoroughly without needing to have it professionally done.
What Comes With The Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser?
Inside the box you’ll find a total of six color-coded tips that are each meant for different purposes. These include:
- Orthodontic tip — Excellent for those with braces. If you are somebody that has braces, it’s very important that you clean your teeth properly. The Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser, in conjunction with the orthodontic tip, will be three times as effective as string floss for cleaning plaque around the braces.
- Plaque Seeker tip — This tip is designed to clean plaque and debris from hard-to-reach places of your mouth, which includes implants, bridges, crowns, and any other kind of dental work.
- Pik Pocket tip — Designed to clean peridontal pockets and furnications. This is a soft rubber tip that is designed to gently rinse below the gumline.
- Classic Jet tip (x3) — The general use tip. Works great for cleaning and improving the health of your gums.
- Tongue Cleaner (x3) — Last, but not least, the tongue cleaner removes bacteria from your tongue, which helps freshen your breath.
- Toothbrush tip — Another general use tip, shaped like an electric toothbrush head which lets you brush your teeth.
Using the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser
Many Waterpik reviews recommend starting out with the lowest setting the first time you use it. This is because the higher settings can output a surprising amount of water pressure, which can be somewhat dangerous if you were to shoot yourself in the eye, etc. I would recommend starting out at either the lowest setting, or slightly higher than the lowest, and work yourself up when you get used to it.
The variety of different tips that come with the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser let you clean your teeth exactly the way you want no matter what your situation is. For example, if you are someone with braces, the orthodontic tip is perfect for you — it is able to clean far more plaque and food particles from teeth when compared to standard flossing. The other included tips are meant for purposes such as cleaning below the gum line, cleaning the tongue, etc.
You’ll probably be surprised at how clean your mouth feels after using the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser. It does a much better job than you could ever accomplish with manual flossing, and you’ll find that it does a great job at blasting out all of the embedded plaque. Your dentist will certainly be amazed at how healthy your teeth and gums look after you start using the Waterpik Ultra Flosser.
The Waterpik is Quiet & Easy to Use
The pressure control dial is very responsive and easy to use, as well as being precise. There are no complaints here. Many Waterpik reviews also noted how it’s much more quiet than previous versions, which is always a good thing.
The nozzle of the Waterpik Ultra Flosser can be rotated, which is an upgrade from previous versions. The rotator wheel is located on the handle where your fingers will be when you’re holding onto it, so you can adjust it with the same hand. Previous versions of the Waterpik would require moving the fragile tubing, which is not longer necessary with the Waterpik Ultra.
There is a button on the Waterpik that stops water flow, but it does not stop the pump. This leads to some minor shaking and noise, and it would have been better if the button also stopped the pump, but this is just a minor inconvenience.
The Water Reservoir of the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser
Some reviews of the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser complained that they thought the water reservoir was not large enough, but it’s large enough that you can use it once per filling. I’m not sure why you’d want to keep water sitting in it when it’s not in use, anyway, which would only end up getting gross after sitting for so long. Fill it up at night, use the Waterpik to empty it out, and then go to bed. It’s as simple as that.
The reservoir is transparent, letting you easily tell how much water is left inside. It’s also marked with numbers, letting you know exactly how much water is left.
The top of the reservoir also functions as an accessory holder, storing all of your extras when they’re not in use, which is handy.
Small & Easy to Store
A small but nice thing that many Waterpik reviews touch on is the fact that it has a small footprint and won’t take up much room in your bathroom at all. On top of being small, it has a rather stylish design, and as mentioned, the lid of the reservoir lets you store all of your accessories inside.
Pros & Cons of the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser
- Cleans far better than regular flossing; leaves your mouth feeling very clean
- The various included tips work great no matter what type of cleaning you need
- Nice and compact; takes up a small footprint and all accessories can be stored in the reservoir lid
- Surprisingly inexpensive, especially when purchased from Amazon, which was around 25% cheaper than retail stores
- Some complaints of leaking, but solved by keeping your hands away from the tank seal when filling it.
The Conclusion — Is the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser Worth Buying?
As my and many other Waterpik reviews would agree, it is definitely worth buying! Everyone should floss their teeth on a daily basis, and not only does the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser make it much more convenient to do, but it does a much better job than regular flossing, as well.
Believe me, once you use the Waterpik Ultra, you will wonder how you survived so long without one. There’s no wonder why there are so many users of this great water flosser; it’s an excellent investment for anyone looking to improve the health of their teeth and gums.
The Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser is definitely worth purchasing!
Best Price on the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser
Best Price Alert: As of Friday, May 24, 2013 the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser can currently be found with free shipping and a huge discount on Amazon.